Today is World Suicide Prevention Day. Although COVID can harm the body of those who catch it, it is attacking the mental health of everybody. This takes a toll, especially when compounded with the amount of loss people have experienced this year. These losses include livelihoods and loved ones. Furthermore, almost all of us are losing out on enjoying their lives, especially those isolated from others. All of this affects one’s well-being and has caused many to contemplate suicide. World Suicide Prevention Day is an annual event, but given how 2020 has gone, it is important we all acknowledge it this year. It is even more important that we recognize that we need to continue this mission every day going forward.
Heather Glenister, Coordinator for the Suicide Awareness Council of Wellington-Dufferin shares details about World Suicide Prevention Day, including how to participate. There is both a concert and seminar occurring on the evening of September 10th, on top of a countdown that has been taking place on social media over the ten days leading up to it. One way to express one’s support for World Suicide Prevention Day is to light a candle this evening and place it next to a window at 8 pm.
Heather lets viewers know more about the Suicide Awareness Council of Wellington-Dufferin, including how one can join and what being a member entails. Most importantly, Heather informs us of what it takes to prevent suicide, and many will be surprised to hear that it doesn’t take special training. That being said, related training is discussed and can be obtained through the CMHA for Peel-Dufferin.
The Suicide Awareness Council of Wellington-Dufferin does not provide crisis support, but if one needs these services, call the 24/7 Crisis Support Line for Peel-Dufferin: 905-278-9036 or 1-888-811-2222.
|Suicide Awareness Council of Wellington-Dufferin|
References – World Suicide Prevention Day
- Suicide Awareness Council of Wellington-Dufferin
- World Suicide Prevention Day
- The Afterwhys Play
- Mysterious Barricades – Online Concert, September 10th at 6:45 PM
- So you say you want to help me… – Seminar by Canadian Association for Suicide Prevention, September 10th at 7:00 PM
- Telecheck Dufferin
- Suicide Awareness Training – Canadian Mental Health Association Peel-Dufferin
- 24.7 Crisis Support Peel Dufferin
- HUGE Dinner Party This Weekend… Don’t worry, it’s safe!
- Orangeville Food Bank Has Officially Moved!
- Ontario teachers, exposed to COVID, may still go to class
- Tony Rose Pool Closure May Decimate Orangeville Otters!
- Need Help! Orangeville Food Bank + Orangeville Legion
- IRIS R&D Group Responds: We Don’t Own FaceMatch
- Orangeville Under Surveillance?! What is IRIS R&D?
- COVID-19 Surcharge in Ontario?! Who Would Do This?!
- Orangeville Library Consolidation: Who Gets Hurt?
- Amaranth Mayor’s Pride Comments & Council’s Reaction
- Is The Orangeville Banner Endangering Public Health?!
- Face Coverings Will Be Required If Entering Dufferin Businesses
- WDGPH Updates Order on Face Coverings
- Essential Worker? What’s it actually mean?
- Discussion on Development – Orangeville Councillor Todd Taylor
- The Dufferin Job Search Just Got Easier!
- Dufferin Speaks – Hansen Development: Discussion with Darrin Davidson
- What’s The Harm Giving Businesses A Free Online Store?
- Dufferin News – Videojournalism For Our Community
- Press Release: Dufferin’s Spotlight Production launches Online Community News Program
- Interested in Being A Contributor? Apply Here!
- Have a Tip for a News Story? Let us know!
- When You Advertise Locally, You Should Advertise With Those Who Are Local. Us.