What does “essential worker” actually mean? Is it someone whose work is essential for society to function, including through a pandemic, and therefore should be valued as such? Or is it someone who finds it essential to work during a pandemic, as that is the only way they can get through it, due to the limited scope of government assistance? Is it both of these things, or something else completely? Please share your thoughts.
Many essential workers are being mandated to wear masks for a majority of their shifts, indicating that the disease is still a danger. At the same time, the benefits that have been awarded to the limited number of essential workers are already beginning to disappear. Josh MacEwen examines this, the treatment of essential workers in general, and asks if we as a society have been handing out platitudes to console ourselves while ignoring the fact that vulnerable groups are being taken advantage of.
- Loblaws, Metro to end COVID-19 wage top-up for employees
- Liberals fail to win support for latest CERB bill on fraud fines, jail time
- Romney “Patriot Pay” Plan Would Support America’s Frontline Workers
- Doug Ford warns landlords of ‘consequences’ as small businesses fret evictions on June 1
- Dr. Nicola Mercer has issued an order under Section 22 of the Health Protection and Promotion Act requiring face coverings be worn in commercial establishments
- Face Coverings Class Order and FAQs
- WDGPH Updates Order on Face Coverings
- Face Coverings Will Be Required If Entering Dufferin Businesses
- Discussion on Development – Orangeville Councillor Todd Taylor
- The Dufferin Job Search Just Got Easier!
- Dufferin Speaks – Hansen Development: Discussion with Darrin Davidson
- Wireless Home Internet – Cheaper option for Rural Dufferin?
- What’s The Harm Giving Businesses A Free Online Store?
- Dufferin News – Videojournalism For Our Community
- Press Release: Dufferin’s Spotlight Production launches Online Community News Program
- Interested in Being A Contributor? Apply Here!
- Have a Tip for a News Story? Let us know!
- When You Advertise Locally, You Should Advertise With Those Who Are Local. Us.