COVID-19 has hurt a lot of businesses, and to get through this, some are raising prices and even instituting a COVID-19 surcharge.
This comes when many customers are also being hurt by COVID-19, due to factors such as reduced employment income and loss of jobs.
If not done properly, this could set up for some ugly confrontations between customers and small businesses.
Josh MacEwen discusses when and where COVID-19 surcharges first appeared, in addition to customers’ reactions to them. He also discusses the rationale behind these surcharges and whether your business should implement them.
There are alternatives to a COVID-19 surcharge, the simplest of which is a price increase. Implementing a COVID-19 surcharge brings complications, such as finding an appropriate rate, as there is currently no industry standard. It can also increase the likelihood of receiving a sales tax audit. It soon becomes apparent why an outright price increase becomes more preferable to some than surcharges.
All of this and more is discussed in this segment of Dufferin News.
References – COVID-19 Surcharge
- Orangeville Electorate Group
- Coming to a receipt near you: The COVID-19 surcharge
- Are you willing to pay a COVID-19 surcharge?
- A COVID Surcharge May Be Coming to a Receipt Near You
- Restaurant slammed for ‘COVID-19 surcharge’ on meal
- ‘This is not business as usual’: You may start seeing a COVID-19 surcharge on your receipts
- Be wary of adding a COVID-19 surcharge to your business, experts say
- CFIB – Ontario small business COVID-19 debt almost $50B
- Sales Tax Issues Arise with COVID-19 Surcharges
- Orangeville Under Surveillance?! What is IRIS R&D?
- Orangeville Library Consolidation: Who Gets Hurt?
- Dufferin Blood Drives in August + LTC Visitation Changes
- Orangeville Food Bank Has Officially Moved!
- 2020 The Year The World Stood Still
- Your Chosen Non-Profit May Benefit From $1 Million Initiative
- Master Minecraft Camp – An Accessible Camp for Summer 2020
- Amaranth’s Proposed Flag-Raising Protocol – Analysis
- Amaranth Council Meeting Cancelled – Amaranth Pride Flag Recap
- Virtual Fireworks Celebration – Canada Day 2020
- Amaranth Mayor’s Pride Comments & Council’s Reaction
- Is The Orangeville Banner Endangering Public Health?!
- Face Coverings Will Be Required If Entering Dufferin Businesses
- WDGPH Updates Order on Face Coverings
- Essential Worker? What’s it actually mean?
- Discussion on Development – Orangeville Councillor Todd Taylor
- The Dufferin Job Search Just Got Easier!
- Dufferin Speaks – Hansen Development: Discussion with Darrin Davidson
- What’s The Harm Giving Businesses A Free Online Store?
- Dufferin News – Videojournalism For Our Community
- Press Release: Dufferin’s Spotlight Production launches Online Community News Program
- Interested in Being A Contributor? Apply Here!
- Have a Tip for a News Story? Let us know!
- When You Advertise Locally, You Should Advertise With Those Who Are Local. Us.