If you see an alien chasing some kids in the Town of Mono, don’t be alarmed.
On April 13, Paul Franklin of Marblemedia made a delegation to the Town of Mono’s council regarding a filming permit for a new television series to be shot on Riverside Drive and Willow Crescent. The show’s title is ‘Overlord and the Underwoods,’ which Franklin described as a family series featuring an alien in ‘an intergalactic witness protection program and is hiding out in the attic of a suburban home.’ One of the showrunners, Anthony Q. Farrell, worked on NBC’s ‘The Office,’ in addition to CBC’s ‘Little Mosque on the Prairie.’ The application for the permit was approved by Council unanimously.
Mono’s Deputy Mayor John Creelman asked Franklin if the show’s concepts were inspired by ‘My Favourite Martian’. Franklin responded that he was unsure, along with the following.
“Let me just put it this way, Overlord is not nearly as nice as the Martian; he’s kind of a jerk,” laughed Franklin. “Through that, he brings the family together.”
Barring extreme weather events, the filming of the opening two of five blocks for the show’s first season will occur from 7 am to 8 pm, May 5-7. All scenes recorded in Mono will be outdoors, as the interior scenes will be taped at a studio in Kleinburg. The production in Mono will involve intermittent traffic stops up to five minutes in duration, causing minor delays on Riverside Drive and Willow Crescent. Appropriate signage will be put in place for those entering the area. Vehicles associated with the production will be parked nearby shooting locations, which may cause further impediments to residents and trail users.
“Film crews, you’ll find, are a lot like goldfish. We will grow to the size of our bowls,” explained Paul Franklin in response to a question regarding parking requirements. “If you give us a limitation, we will certainly act within it.”
According to Paul Franklin, there would also be a scene on the Vicki Barron Lakeside Trail coming off of Hockley Road where the alien would be chasing around some kids. The trail will not be closed for the duration of filming, although those using it may be requested to stop for several minutes while filming is taking place.
Marblemedia has a history in Dufferin County. Based in Toronto, the company produced ‘Splatalot,’ described as a medieval-style ‘Wipeout’ for teens, all 52 episodes of which were filmed in Amaranth. It aired on YTV in Canada and other networks across North America and Europe for two seasons, with the last episode airing in 2013. The set remained on the land owned by Marblemedia after the show ended, as there were plans to repurpose it. Eventually, it became an unauthorized attraction before it was demolished in 2019. A few years prior, The Orangeville Banner reported that Amaranth’s Council formally requested Marblemedia to do more to limit trespassers on the property.
Councillor Sharon Martin mentioned that the Town of Mono had worked with Marblemedia previously with satisfactory results.
“They certainly do an excellent job; by the time they’ve left, you have no idea they’ve been there,” said Martin.
While many businesses, such as those in the personal care sector, have been forced to shut down entirely for long periods during the pandemic, the film industry has been able to operate due to implementing the required workplace safety protocols. Testing for COVID-19, hiring a COVID-19 specialist, disinfecting areas, and limiting the number of people physically on set, are just some examples of the measures that Paul Franklin mentioned film crews have implemented.
Kim Heaton, the Town of Mono’s Director of Recreation, shared that Marblemedia sent her their COVID-19 safety plan for the production. Heaton said the plan was ‘extensive’ and how it went ‘over and above the rules set out by our government.’
References – New TV Show Will Be Filmed In Mono
- Recording – Council Meeting 7-2021 | 13 Apr 2021 – Town of Mono YouTube Channel
- Agenda – Council Meeting 7-2021 | 13 Apr 2021 – Town of Mono Website
More Dufferin News
- Dufferin County Holding Info Session on Tourism Strategy
- Big Upgrades Announced for Grand Valley Community Centre
- Task Force Advises UGDSB Cancel Resource Officer Program
- Shelburne Names Members to Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion Committee
- MELANCTHON’S NEW COUNCILLOR HAS BEEN CHOSEN!
- Candidates Seeking Vacant Seat Questioned By Melancthon’s Council
- Melancthon One Step Closer to Filling Council Vacancy
- WDGPH: ‘Number of factors at play’ BIPOC 5x more likely to catch COVID
- Amaranth Mayor Bob Currie: “All Lives Matter”
- Andrew Cunningham: Black History Month in Dufferin
- Polvier Folkes-Grandison: Black History Month in Dufferin
- Trisha Linton: Black History Month in Dufferin
- Dufferin County Rejects WDGPH Request for Assistance
- Internet in Town of Mono: ‘No Home Left Behind’
- Shelburne’s Police Services Board – More Barriers Broken
- Township of Amaranth Council Vacancy Filled!
- A New Magazine with A ‘Local Purpose’ is On Its Way!
- Dufferin Marketing Firm Grows While Giving Back
- Vaccines: Headwaters Hospital Manager Puts Family First
- A Discussion with Orangeville Councillor Todd Taylor
- Two cars go off road in a week at Rolling Hills & McCannell
- WDPGH Releases COVID-19 Vaccine Information
- #Shoes4Shelburne 2020: An Overwhelming Success
- Rogers, Bank of China, Anti-Abortion Groups Take CEWS
- Shelburne’s Deck The Door Contest 2020 has a Victor!
- A Taste of Jamaica in Shelburne with Smokey Island Grille
- More on ‘Workplace Isolating’ in East Garafraxa Township
- East Garafraxa Public Works Staff ‘Workplace Isolating’
- Update on vacant council seat in Amaranth Township
- IS AMARANTH’S MAYOR CURRIE RESIGNING?
- AMARANTH MAYOR CURRIE UNLEASHES HIS FURY
- Amaranth Residents Call Out Mayor Currie’s Empty Threat
- Mayor Bob Currie Protests Donation to Food Banks
- IS AMARANTH’S MAYOR CURRIE RESIGNING?
- AMARANTH MAYOR DOESN’T KNOW HOW TO RAISE PRIDE FLAG FOR 2021
- AMARANTH’S DEPUTY MAYOR CALLS OUT MAYOR’S PRIDE INTOLERANCE
- AMARANTH MAYOR: WHY CAN’T WE USE THE RIVER TO FIGHT FIRES?!
- AMARANTH’S DEPUTY MAYOR FIGHTS FOR DIVERSITY COMMITTEE
- Amaranth Council Meeting Cancelled – Amaranth Pride Flag Recap
- Amaranth Mayor’s Pride Comments & Council’s Reaction
- ‘Trojan Horse’ Proposed at Fung Loy Kok in Mono
- Dufferin County Councillor Brings Religion Into Politics
- A Seasonal Holiday Market: Places to Spot and Shop
- Passionate Outpourings, A Life of Much Artistic Verve & Vitality!
- Shelburne Street Names Will Honour Black & Indigenous Past
- Robert Allen: A Man For All Seasons
- Orangeville Transit Hub Downtown Location Gets Nixed
- Orangeville Council Wants Access to Drive Tests Limited
- NEW DETAILS ON WE CHARITY ‘EXONERATION’
- MP Kyle Seeback Asks For Local Business Nominations!
- There is assistance for homeless men in Dufferin County!
- Dufferin News Contributor Gets 3rd at McMichael Art Show
- My Crafty Neighbour has a space with limitless opportunity!
- New Grand Valley Pizza Place Opens Tonight!
- “Please…symptoms can widely range…don’t assume it’s just a cold!”
- Town of Orangeville Staff tests positive for COVID-19
- Epidemiologist Calls Out Upper Grand DSB
- Ontario teachers, exposed to COVID, may still go to class
- UGDSB TRUSTEE CALLS BUSES “ROLLING INCUBATORS”
- IS ENOUGH BEING DONE TO KEEP LUNCHES SAFE IN THE UGDSB?
- ‘Glimmer of hope’ as Dufferin business community nears second wave
- Through the eyes of a Canadian female collective
- Robert Allen: A Man For All Seasons
- Marnie Cooke: “How do you turn off your ears?”
- Streams Community Hub: A New Age For The Dufferin Arts
- Tony Rose Pool Closure May Decimate Orangeville Otters!
- ORANGEVILLE USED IN MARKETING CROWD CONTROL TECHNOLOGY
- IRIS R&D Group Responds: We Don’t Own FaceMatch
- Orangeville Under Surveillance?! What is IRIS R&D?
- Orangeville Library Consolidation: Who Gets Hurt?
- Orangeville Food Bank Has Officially Moved!
- Is The Orangeville Banner Endangering Public Health?!
- Essential Worker? What’s it actually mean?
- Discussion on Development – Orangeville Councillor Todd Taylor
- Dufferin Speaks – Hansen Development: Discussion with Darrin Davidson
- Dufferin News – Videojournalism For Our Community
- Press Release: Dufferin’s Spotlight Production launches Online Community News Program
- Interested in Being A Contributor? Apply Here!