The doors are starting to open at several galleries, museums, and establishments with new exhibits or access to shows that were closed. Enjoy a cornucopia of virtual exhibitions and events in these artful corridors of commerce.
What a welcome sight – Art Gallery of Burlington’s meditative greenhouse space.
ARTS & CULTURAL EVENTS CELEBRATE HISTORY…
While Black History Month has come to a close, there are these shows, events, or resources you may still access the richness of artistic and cultural contributions the Black Community has brought and continues to bring into our lives. Podcasts, videos, virtual shows, and events share people’s creative journeys and cultural backgrounds.
Heritage Mississauga partnered with The Ontario Black History Society to share material from their archives. Resource still available on their YouTube channel here. The video features community recognition profiles, Black history, entertainment, museum tours, and so much more.
Beaux-Arts Gallery Follow the Candid Conversations that Regan Hayward, Director, has with various artists here. Kofi Frempong, an artist showcasing in the current virtual exhibit, I KNOW WHY, is featured in this interview. View show here.
Peel Art Gallery Museum and Archives (PAMA)‘s current exhibit, Our Voices, Our Journeys, Black Communities in Peel “… is a celebration of one of many black communities in Peel Region. It highlights the personal journeys of leaders and mentors from the North Peel Community Church congregation. Their photos and objects illustrate stories of immigration and family life, and how they established a community of faith in Caledon.” Virtual exhibit at here.
Museum of Dufferin partnered with the Dufferin County Canadian Black Association to invite artists and photographers from across Canada to submit their work. Jurors selected pieces that best represent the theme “Solidarity in My Community, which one can see here. Runs until March 31. One can also see the live panel of their discussion here.
Art Gallery of Burlington is open! Check out their new exhibitions here. And enjoy a virtual presentation, Material Histories with Meera Sethi, on Friday, March 12 on Zoom, 6:00 – 7:00 pm. Meera Sethi is one of the exhibiting artists in the paired exhibition In Visible at the AGB’s Perry Gallery from January 15- April 3, 2021. This artist talk and show & tell is an ancillary program to the exhibition—images courtesy of the artist.
ArtTrendZ collective members continue to “make noise” and get the word out about what their artists are doing. Thaniath Siddiqui and Vibha Malhotra have each been interviewed and featured by Deepa Mahanti in her series ‘I AM.’ Deepa is an Author, Filmmaker, Advocate, Humanitarian, Educationist, Entrepreneur and much more! The series‘ purpose was to tell stories representing the feelings and experiences, struggles and positive direction that influenced people.
CLASSES, WORKSHOPS, ACTIVITIES…
Opening up in various areas allows some arts organizations and artists to start their classes and workshops in person, following current health protocols. Many groups continue to offer some or all of their courses and events virtually.
Ann Randeraad is offering classes in pottery again! At the beginning of March, she has announced that “…the studio will be open for classes. Book your lessons now. Daytime, evenings & weekends. Scheduled, social distanced, small class sizes, sanitized tools & equipment & masks worn. When you are ready, call to book your class or lessons. 519-938-2092.” Just a piece up the road and northwest of Orangeville.
Cathy Disbrow of Woolly Doodles, textile artist and felter, offers Zoom workshops from $20 = $35.00; kits are extra. Gorgeous winter scene with sheep March 14, followed by spring-themed classes on Sunday afternoons, Tuesday evenings, and Friday mornings. Get the Woolly Doodles newsletter here—felting projects: March 14, Winter Sheep, then violets and cute bunnies later in March.
Visual Arts Brampton has sprung into action with their ‘Try It Paint Nights’ and adult programming. You don’t want to miss their exciting international Snail Mail World Postcard Art Show either! Exciting options with their Spring Break Camps here. ENCOURAGING CREATIVITY!
Burlington Public Library has a plethora of FREE virtual activities and cultural delights to sample. While some require pre-registration, others do not. Family Storytime, Puppet Shows, Opera, Writing Classes, Bookclubs, Art Activities, and more!
Visual Arts Mississauga features virtual courses for adults and youth. SPRING Break activities here.
Museum of Dufferin’s Learning Hub is a treasure trove of resources! With Social Studies, Language Arts, and Games & Activities, it’s time to DISCOVER, EDUCATE, and SHARE with the MOD! It’s about those collections they have – from the Archival Collection to the Artifact Collection and the Education Collection.
EXHIBITIONS HERE & AFAR…
Arts On The Credit is helping people to ‘escape to the country’ to visit with lots of the 4-legged critters there, all with charming human characteristics layered on them by Janice Ykema, our featured artist for March. Enjoy Freedom of Expression, Ykema’s solo show on through March 31 in our virtual gallery. Janice shares that if you take her three loves of art, storytelling, and seeing people laugh, then “… put those three loves in a bowl and give them a good shake, you will come up with what I do.”
Art Gallery of Mississauga’s new exhibit, The Qi of Water, is extended to April 12. Explore the very stuff of life, Yin or the subtle energy of water. Immerse yourself in this poignant experience with the world-renowned Artist Xiaojing Yan and two award-winning Canadian artists, Laura Beaton and Huan Chen. Both Beaton and Chen are members of Arts on the Credit.
Headwaters Arts Gallery can help you “wrap up those gifts” with their Artful Giving show from March 10 – April 18 in their gallery, NOW OPEN to the public. All health protocols and guidelines are carefully monitored. An excellent and unique collection of artful treasures await you. Because it is always wonderful to both give and receive, consider a short trip far from the maddening crowds and enjoy browsing in an inspirational space at the Alton Mill Arts Centre, 1402 Queen Street, Suite100, Alton (Caledon), L7K 0C3.
Visual Arts Mississauga is pleased to host their Third annual Chapter: An Exhibition Celebrating Lifelong Learning in the VAM Gallery. The featured artwork is by VAM students and members aged 60+. Third Chapter will be online from March 1- March 14, 2021.
Joshua Creek Heritage Art Centre Sibyl Rampen, Artist and proprietor of this beautiful heritage site, shares that … “Art From the Heart 2021 is possibly the most important exhibition to date. It is not about artists, but about hope and healing for all challenged people. It is about teaching and inspiring people to find their artist Within.” Located on Burnhamthorpe Road on the eastern border of Oakville and Mississauga, it makes a great day trip as they opened March 3; hours are Wednesday – Sunday, 1 – 4 pm. This current show is both virtual for viewing and may be seen in person.
TAKING CARE OF BUSINESS…
Mississauga Arts Council continues to present their members and the larger community with a series of virtual workshops for all artist-entrepreneurs, visual, performance and musical, in conjunction with various partners. Visit the website here.
Central Counties Tourism continues to offer workshops, research, and guidance for reopening their members and communities in the Headwaters Region, which includes Caledon, Erin, Orangeville, and a number of destination areas.
E.Connie Munson Local writer, photographer, and artist covers the arts and cultural scene so others may share the creatives and makers’ passion and joy. firstname.lastname@example.org.
Reference Links – The Artful Corridor of Commerce for Dufferin-Halton-Peel
- 2021 Black History Month Kick-Off (Full Recap) – Ontario Black History Society
- I Don’t Know Why: In Honour of Black History Month – Beaux Arts Brampton
- Our Voices, Our Journey – Peel Art Gallery Museum and Archives
- Black History Month in Dufferin – Museum of Dufferin
- Solidarity in My Community Discussion Panel – County of Dufferin
- Current & Upcoming Exhibitions – Arts Gallery of Burlington
- Material Histories with Meera Sethi – Arts Gallery of Burlington
- Marina Dempster & Meera Sethi: In Visible – Arts Gallery of Burlington
- ArtTrendz: An Artist Collective
- Ann Randeraad – Ceramic Artist
- Needle Felt Classes & Workshops – Woolly Doodles
- Newsletter Signup – Woolly Doodles
- Art Classes for Adults – Visual Arts Brampton
- WELCOME – Visual Arts Brampton
- Events – Burlington Public Library
- VAM Kids’ April Break – Visual Arts Mississauga
- LEARNING HUB – Museum of Dufferin
- ABOUT OUR COLLECTIONS – Museum of Dufferin
- VIRTUAL GALLERY – Arts on the Credit
- Current/Upcoming Exhibitions – Art Gallery of Mississauga
- Headwaters Arts Gallery Opens Today!
- Headwaters Arts
- THIRD CHAPTER: CELEBRATING LIFELONG LEARNING 2021
- Current Exhibits – Joshua Creek Arts
- Programs – Mississauga Arts Council
- Central Counties Tourism
More Dufferin News
- WDGPH: ‘Number of factors at play’ BIPOC 5x more likely to catch COVID
- Amaranth Mayor Bob Currie: “All Lives Matter”
- Andrew Cunningham: Black History Month in Dufferin
- Polvier Folkes-Grandison: Black History Month in Dufferin
- Trisha Linton: Black History Month in Dufferin
- Dufferin County Rejects WDGPH Request for Assistance
- Internet in Town of Mono: ‘No Home Left Behind’
- Shelburne’s Police Services Board – More Barriers Broken
- Township of Amaranth Council Vacancy Filled!
- A New Magazine with A ‘Local Purpose’ is On Its Way!
- Dufferin Marketing Firm Grows While Giving Back
- Vaccines: Headwaters Hospital Manager Puts Family First
- A Discussion with Orangeville Councillor Todd Taylor
- Two cars go off road in a week at Rolling Hills & McCannell
- WDPGH Releases COVID-19 Vaccine Information
- #Shoes4Shelburne 2020: An Overwhelming Success
- Rogers, Bank of China, Anti-Abortion Groups Take CEWS
- Shelburne’s Deck The Door Contest 2020 has a Victor!
- A Taste of Jamaica in Shelburne with Smokey Island Grille
- More on ‘Workplace Isolating’ in East Garafraxa Township
- East Garafraxa Public Works Staff ‘Workplace Isolating’
- Councillor for Township of Melancthon Asked to Resign
- Melancthon Councilmembers Asked to Rethink Pay Raise
- Melancthon Council gives itself a pay raise in 2021
- Melancthon Councillor Resigns after ‘defamatory assaults’
- Update on vacant council seat in Amaranth Township
- IS AMARANTH’S MAYOR CURRIE RESIGNING?
- AMARANTH MAYOR CURRIE UNLEASHES HIS FURY
- Amaranth Residents Call Out Mayor Currie’s Empty Threat
- Mayor Bob Currie Protests Donation to Food Banks
- IS AMARANTH’S MAYOR CURRIE RESIGNING?
- AMARANTH MAYOR DOESN’T KNOW HOW TO RAISE PRIDE FLAG FOR 2021
- AMARANTH’S DEPUTY MAYOR CALLS OUT MAYOR’S PRIDE INTOLERANCE
- AMARANTH MAYOR: WHY CAN’T WE USE THE RIVER TO FIGHT FIRES?!
- AMARANTH’S DEPUTY MAYOR FIGHTS FOR DIVERSITY COMMITTEE
- Amaranth Council Meeting Cancelled – Amaranth Pride Flag Recap
- Amaranth Mayor’s Pride Comments & Council’s Reaction
- ‘Trojan Horse’ Proposed at Fung Loy Kok in Mono
- Dufferin County Councillor Brings Religion Into Politics
- A Seasonal Holiday Market: Places to Spot and Shop
- Passionate Outpourings, A Life of Much Artistic Verve & Vitality!
- Shelburne Street Names Will Honour Black & Indigenous Past
- Robert Allen: A Man For All Seasons
- Orangeville Transit Hub Downtown Location Gets Nixed
- Orangeville Council Wants Access to Drive Tests Limited
- NEW DETAILS ON WE CHARITY ‘EXONERATION’
- MP Kyle Seeback Asks For Local Business Nominations!
- There is assistance for homeless men in Dufferin County!
- Dufferin News Contributor Gets 3rd at McMichael Art Show
- My Crafty Neighbour has a space with limitless opportunity!
- New Grand Valley Pizza Place Opens Tonight!
- “Please…symptoms can widely range…don’t assume it’s just a cold!”
- Town of Orangeville Staff tests positive for COVID-19
- Epidemiologist Calls Out Upper Grand DSB
- Ontario teachers, exposed to COVID, may still go to class
- UGDSB TRUSTEE CALLS BUSES “ROLLING INCUBATORS”
- IS ENOUGH BEING DONE TO KEEP LUNCHES SAFE IN THE UGDSB?
- ‘Glimmer of hope’ as Dufferin business community nears second wave
- Through the eyes of a Canadian female collective
- Robert Allen: A Man For All Seasons
- Marnie Cooke: “How do you turn off your ears?”
- Streams Community Hub: A New Age For The Dufferin Arts
- Tony Rose Pool Closure May Decimate Orangeville Otters!
- ORANGEVILLE USED IN MARKETING CROWD CONTROL TECHNOLOGY
- IRIS R&D Group Responds: We Don’t Own FaceMatch
- Orangeville Under Surveillance?! What is IRIS R&D?
- Orangeville Library Consolidation: Who Gets Hurt?
- Orangeville Food Bank Has Officially Moved!
- Is The Orangeville Banner Endangering Public Health?!
- Essential Worker? What’s it actually mean?
- Discussion on Development – Orangeville Councillor Todd Taylor
- Dufferin Speaks – Hansen Development: Discussion with Darrin Davidson
- Dufferin News – Videojournalism For Our Community
- Press Release: Dufferin’s Spotlight Production launches Online Community News Program
- Interested in Being A Contributor? Apply Here!