Driven to Create… by Connie Munson
Those sleigh bells can jingle merrily along in the snowy winter wonderland that just visited southern Ontario. And adding to the spirit of seasonal gift-giving, here are shows and exhibits where you can shop and support local makers. Welcome to this week’s listings in the Seasonal Holiday Market – Places to Spot and Shop.
Just like those elves and helpers in many workshops across the land, you will find that artists and artisans need to go with their creative flow and are members of multiple arts groups.
You can expect to see them in various shows at the same time, particularly with the virtual platforms being used.
Arts Burlington’s Online Christmas Sale
Arts Burlington’s Online Christmas Sale is in its final week with no new pieces uploaded after November 30. The links and page will still be “live” all through December here. People may continue to virtually browse, contact the artists for personalized payment and delivery options, and enjoy those unique artisan gifts from over 90 participating artists in the six guilds. You are supporting local artists and talent: Elizabeth Bryan, a resident of Orangeville who is in the Weavers Guild, a Bramptonian belonging to the Latow Photography Guild, and a Mississauga resident that is in the Potters Guild.
Inspiration by Arts on the Credit!
Arts On The Credit opens their first 3-Dimensional Gallery Show, Inspiration!, a virtual gallery tour and market place on December 3 at 7 pm! “You will be able to contact the artists directly to purchase their work and add to your collection, directly from the gallery,”
With local artists from Brampton and Caledon, be sure to contact email@example.com for the Zoom link to the launch event for this new art gallery.
ArtTrendZ presents Virtual Holiday Bazaar!
ArtsTrendZ continues their Virtual Holiday Bazaar! on the Facebook platform, closing November 30. Seven member artists from Peel are continuing to showcase their treasure trove of artisan pieces and smaller fine artworks. Items are competitively priced at $$ONE Hundred and under! Visit each of the seven artists within their own boutiques, shoppes, or emporium here.
Winter Art Show and Sale 2020 by Beaux Arts Brampton
Beaux Arts Gallery celebrates the season with Winter Art Show and Sale, a virtual show running from November 19 – January 31, sponsored by the Downtown Brampton BIA. Check out the website here. The range of work in this show is phenomenal! Is it any wonder that artists come from all parts of Peel Region and beyond to enter their work in the shows at this gallery? You will note the beautiful mosaic art pieces of MaryLou Hurley of East Caledon and the unique photographic art of her daughter, photographer Samantha Hurley, resident of Orangeville.
Museum of Dufferin’s Holiday Treasures
And what’s on at the MoD, you say? It is the 16th annual show and exhibit, the Museum of Dufferin’s Holiday Treasures. Sponsored by IN THE HILL MAGAZINE, this show offers virtual shopping with curbside pickup as well as on-site shopping. Book ahead at 519-941-1114 for monitored access to shop in person. December 1 through December 12, the show is open Tuesdays – Saturdays from 11 am – 4 pm and on Thursdays, 11 am – 7 pm. Check out the website here.
This show traditionally draws a fine array of artists and artisans from across Ontario with handcrafted items and smaller art pieces. The warmth and beauty of the season are echoed throughout the Main Gallery of the MoD with beautiful displays of handmade treasures for sale. Find a gift for everyone on your list this holiday season! The MoD is located north on Airport Road in Mulmur, Ontario L9V 0L3.
Paint Nights @ Home By Visual Arts Brampton
Visual Arts Brampton, A Non-profit Arts Community Encouraging Creativity, has Gift Certificates to use for their popular Zoom Paint Nights or even Memberships. You can see the range of their activities on their Facebook page, or look at the courses offered on their website. For any questions call 905-453-9142 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. More information on paint nights can be found here.
Partnering with co-sponsor Shoppers World, who posted announcements on their website, 50 art kits were sold in four days! This was followed by another large turnout at a recent Zoom where 50 households took part in an arts and craft activity. Clearly, VAB’s heart is in their art, as they help families and people of all ages connect through their shared creativity.
Driven to Create© is a column Connie Munson, local photographer, artist, and writer, has developed for various arts organizations to profile their artist-members. She is a director on the board of Headwaters Arts, which has their gallery in the Alton Mill Arts Centre in Caledon, a member of several other arts organizations, and may be reached at email@example.com.
References – A Seasonal Holiday Market – Places to Spot and Shop
- Arts Burlington Christmas Sale Gallery
- Arts On The Credit Inspiration! – firstname.lastname@example.org for the Zoom link
- ArtTrendz: An Artist Collective
- Winter Art Show – Beaux Arts Brampton
- HOLIDAY TREASURES – Museum of Dufferin
- Visual Arts Brampton
- Paint Night at Home – Visual Arts Brampton
- Robert Allen: A Man For All Seasons
- Orangeville Transit Hub Downtown Location Gets Nixed
- Councillor for Township of Melancthon Asked to Resign
- Orangeville Council Wants Access to Drive Tests Limited
- Melancthon Councilmembers Asked to Rethink Pay Raise
- Melancthon Council gives itself a pay raise in 2021
- Melancthon Councillor Resigns after ‘defamatory assaults’
- Amaranth Councilmembers Move Towards Filling Vacancy
- Mayor Currie Questions Integrity Commissioner’s Value – Audio Clip
- Mayor of Amaranth responds to investigation report
- Amaranth Mayor Currie Speaks to Workplace Harrassment Report – Audio Clip
- Update on vacant council seat in Amaranth Township
- IS AMARANTH’S MAYOR CURRIE RESIGNING?
- AMARANTH MAYOR CURRIE UNLEASHES HIS FURY
- Amaranth Residents Call Out Mayor Currie’s Empty Threat
- Mayor Bob Currie Protests Donation to Food Banks
- IS AMARANTH’S MAYOR CURRIE RESIGNING?
- AMARANTH MAYOR DOESN’T KNOW HOW TO RAISE PRIDE FLAG FOR 2021
- AMARANTH’S DEPUTY MAYOR CALLS OUT MAYOR’S PRIDE INTOLERANCE
- AMARANTH MAYOR: WHY CAN’T WE USE THE RIVER TO FIGHT FIRES?!
- AMARANTH’S DEPUTY MAYOR FIGHTS FOR DIVERSITY COMMITTEE
- Amaranth Council Meeting Cancelled – Amaranth Pride Flag Recap
- Amaranth Mayor’s Pride Comments & Council’s Reaction
- ‘Trojan Horse’ Proposed at Fung Loy Kok in Mono
- DCCBA Another Landmark for Diversity in Dufferin
- Dufferin County Councillor Brings Religion Into Politics
- NEW DETAILS ON WE CHARITY ‘EXONERATION’
- MP Kyle Seeback Asks For Local Business Nominations!
- ORANGEVILLE USED IN MARKETING CROWD CONTROL TECHNOLOGY
- Stolen pair of shoes leads to over 1000 Shoes for Shelburne
- There is assistance for homeless men in Dufferin County!
- Santa Claus will be coming to Orangeville… on a firetruck!
- My Crafty Neighbour has a space with limitless opportunity!
- Town of Orangeville launches COVID-19 Community Recognition Awards
- New Grand Valley Pizza Place Opens Tonight!
- “Please…symptoms can widely range…don’t assume it’s just a cold!”
- Town of Orangeville Staff tests positive for COVID-19
- Epidemiologist Calls Out Upper Grand DSB
- Ontario teachers, exposed to COVID, may still go to class
- UGDSB Trustee Raises BIG CONCERNS Over School Lunchtime
- School Buses May Pose BIGGEST RISK to UGDSB Return To School
- UGDSB TRUSTEE CALLS BUSES “ROLLING INCUBATORS”
- IS ENOUGH BEING DONE TO KEEP LUNCHES SAFE IN THE UGDSB?
- VENTILATION AND HVAC IN UGDSB SCHOOLS
- WILL REMOTE LEARNING CHANGE THE AMOUNT OF BUSES IN UGDSB?
- UGDSB PROVIDES DETAILS ON PROTOCOL IF COVID HITS SCHOOLS
- ‘Glimmer of hope’ as Dufferin business community nears second wave
- Through the eyes of a Canadian female collective
- Marnie Cooke: “How do you turn off your ears?”
- The Artful Revival Festival – Social Distancing Applies!
- Streams Community Hub: A New Age For The Dufferin Arts
- Tony Rose Pool Closure May Decimate Orangeville Otters!
- Need Help! Orangeville Food Bank + Orangeville Legion
- IRIS R&D Group Responds: We Don’t Own FaceMatch
- Orangeville Under Surveillance?! What is IRIS R&D?
- COVID-19 Surcharge in Ontario?! Who Would Do This?!
- Orangeville Library Consolidation: Who Gets Hurt?
- Orangeville Food Bank Has Officially Moved!
- Is The Orangeville Banner Endangering Public Health?!
- Face Coverings Will Be Required If Entering Dufferin Businesses
- WDGPH Updates Order on Face Coverings
- Essential Worker? What’s it actually mean?
- Discussion on Development – Orangeville Councillor Todd Taylor
- The Dufferin Job Search Just Got Easier!
- Dufferin Speaks – Hansen Development: Discussion with Darrin Davidson
- Dufferin News – Videojournalism For Our Community
- Press Release: Dufferin’s Spotlight Production launches Online Community News Program
- Interested in Being A Contributor? Apply Here!
- Have a Tip for a News Story? Let us know!
- When You Advertise Locally, You Should Advertise With Those Who Are Local. Us.