In a follow-up to a story Dufferin News reported on October 15th, regarding two cases of COVID being confirmed among the school community at Montgomery Village Public School, a letter was submitted to the editor on behalf of the family involved. The author will be kept anonymous to maintain privacy.
“I feel the need to have this posted as it may help others in our community. I tested positive for COVID-19 and unfortunately, it went through our entire family. Yes, my children are the ones from MVPS who tested positive.
My first symptoms were a raw throat and slight cough. I was tested the next day and 27 hours later I received a positive result. We had made the decision to isolate our entire family while I waited for test results which is not a requirement of public health. Had we not made that decision, we were told a minimum of 87 people could have been put into a 2 week quarantine. Due to our decision our children were in quarantine during their contagious period. If there had been a risk to the school, public health would have stepped in and quarantined everyone exposed.
No one believed based on my symptoms that it could have been COVID-19, it felt like a very minor cold. I always wear my mask, socially distance and wash my hands. What we have been told is that I most likely got a low viral load because of my mask wearing and constant hand washing which helped to give most of us a mild case.
My first 6 days felt like an annoying head cold. Fortunately when it got worse it was not debilitating.
Child #1 only had a slight cough for about 12 hours and stuffy nose for 3 days. SO MILD!!!!! Since day 4 child #1 has been symptom free and had we not tested and been in quarantine (and instead just waited the required time before returning to school)…they would have been an asymptomatic carrier in a classroom.
Child #2 had a rough time due to a pre-existing condition.
My spouse had a stuffy nose for 4 days….THAT’S IT!!!!
Please…symptoms can widely range…don’t assume it’s just a cold! I got tested and quarantined our family immediately out of an abundance of caution and I am so happy I did. Our family produced zero community spread.
Lastly, COVID is scary and we know there is a huge stigma. To the individuals who were posting personal information such as the kids grades, we understand everyone is scared but please try and think of those who are sick, we did not ask for this. If there was risk to your family…you would have already received a call from public health before this hit the news.”
- Santa Claus will be coming to Orangeville… on a firetruck!
- My Crafty Neighbour has a space with limitless opportunity!
- Exhibition leaves Headwaters Arts with much to be thankful for!
- Artful Revival Festival Exhibition: Winners Take All!
- New Grand Valley Pizza Place Opens Tonight!
- Epidemiologist Calls Out Upper Grand DSB
- Ontario teachers, exposed to COVID, may still go to class
- UGDSB Trustee Raises BIG CONCERNS Over School Lunchtime
- School Buses May Pose BIGGEST RISK to UGDSB Return To School
- UGDSB TRUSTEE CALLS BUSES “ROLLING INCUBATORS”
- IS ENOUGH BEING DONE TO KEEP LUNCHES SAFE IN THE UGDSB?
- VENTILATION AND HVAC IN UGDSB SCHOOLS
- WILL REMOTE LEARNING CHANGE THE AMOUNT OF BUSES IN UGDSB?
- UGDSB PROVIDES DETAILS ON PROTOCOL IF COVID HITS SCHOOLS
- ‘Glimmer of hope’ as Dufferin business community nears second wave
- Through the eyes of a Canadian female collective
- Renowned local portrait artist heads for the wilds
- Amaranth Residents Call Out Mayor Currie’s Empty Threat
- Standstill hit when filling vacant Amaranth Council seat
- BIG NEWS at upcoming Amaranth council meeting
- Mayor Bob Currie Protests Donation to Food Banks
- The Artful Revival Festival – Social Distancing Applies!
- Streams Community Hub: A New Age For The Dufferin Arts
- Tony Rose Pool Closure May Decimate Orangeville Otters!
- Need Help! Orangeville Food Bank + Orangeville Legion
- IRIS R&D Group Responds: We Don’t Own FaceMatch
- Orangeville Under Surveillance?! What is IRIS R&D?
- COVID-19 Surcharge in Ontario?! Who Would Do This?!
- Orangeville Library Consolidation: Who Gets Hurt?
- Orangeville Food Bank Has Officially Moved!
- Is The Orangeville Banner Endangering Public Health?!
- Face Coverings Will Be Required If Entering Dufferin Businesses
- WDGPH Updates Order on Face Coverings
- Essential Worker? What’s it actually mean?
- Discussion on Development – Orangeville Councillor Todd Taylor
- The Dufferin Job Search Just Got Easier!
- Dufferin Speaks – Hansen Development: Discussion with Darrin Davidson
- What’s The Harm Giving Businesses A Free Online Store?
- Dufferin News – Videojournalism For Our Community
- Press Release: Dufferin’s Spotlight Production launches Online Community News Program
- Interested in Being A Contributor? Apply Here!
- Have a Tip for a News Story? Let us know!
- When You Advertise Locally, You Should Advertise With Those Who Are Local. Us.