As previously reported, Amaranth Mayor Currie announced his intention to resign at the September 2 township council meeting during a closed session, but written notice has yet to be received. The audio of the meeting was previously unavailable, but a portion of it was moved to open session. The contents are surprising.
Dufferin News was originally alerted to Amaranth’s Mayor Bob Currie’s supposed resignation through a Facebook post made by Deputy Mayor Chris Gerrits. This occurred shortly after Dufferin News was alerted by former Councillor Mark Tijssen that he was resigning, which the Deputy Mayor referred to in his Facebook post. Josh MacEwen of Dufferin News contacted Bob Currie at that time but he was not willing to answer questions on this matter.
Mayor Bob Currie has attended at least two Amaranth Township Council meetings and one Dufferin County Council meeting since his verbal resignation announcement. If it has been discussed in an open session, it is not known to Dufferin News. That being said, during the Amaranth council meeting on September 16, the council voted to make a portion of the closed session of the September 2 meeting open. This newly available information confirmed that, in a rage, Mayor Currie announced his resignation and insulted council members on his way out. It sounded like he expected somebody else to leave with him, but that did not occur.
Currie’s outburst was spurred by the council’s refusal to allow him to charge for mileage to give a tour of the township to new staff. According to the recording, and further conversations with Deputy Mayor Gerrits and Amaranth’s acting CAO Nicole Martin, the only person who expressed their desire to participate in this was Mayor Bob Currie. It was felt by all involved, except for Amaranth Mayor Currie, that Amaranth’s Director of Public works could do this in a township truck if it was ever necessary. He repeated his request, and Councillor Gail Little asserted council’s refusal. This led to Currie angrily yelling his resignation and his intentions never to return, while calling fellow council members ‘scumbags’ and ‘trash’, in addition to shouting “SHUT UP!” before leaving.
Currie sits on Amaranth Township and Dufferin County councils. As mentioned, to the knowledge of Dufferin News, this situation has not been explicitly discussed during open sessions either. The only reference to it was in relation to opening up a portion of the closed meeting. On top of this, residents have the chance to ask for this to be addressed during the Question Periods. Nobody has done so yet. Will anybody attempt to hold Mayor Currie to account for his actions?
References – AMARANTH MAYOR CURRIE RESIGNS, THEN DOESN’T
- September 2, 2020 Amaranth Council Meeting Resources
- IS AMARANTH’S MAYOR CURRIE RESIGNING?
- AMARANTH MAYOR DOESN’T KNOW HOW TO RAISE PRIDE FLAG FOR 2021
- AMARANTH’S DEPUTY MAYOR CALLS OUT MAYOR’S PRIDE INTOLERANCE
- AMARANTH MAYOR: WHY CAN’T WE USE THE RIVER TO FIGHT FIRES?!
- AMARANTH’S DEPUTY MAYOR FIGHTS FOR DIVERSITY COMMITTEE
- July 2, 2020 Amaranth Council Meeting – Agenda
- Amaranth Council Meeting Cancelled – Amaranth Pride Flag Recap
- June 17, 2020 Council Meeting – Minutes and Full Recording
- Amaranth Town Council Information
- Petition: Remove Mayor Bob Currie From Office
- Amaranth Mayor’s Pride Comments & Council’s Reaction
- LATEST: Amaranth Mayor Bob Currie issues statement in response to article about Pride flag comments
- JUN 24 – MEET THE MAYOR OF AMARANTH
- Amaranth demands meeting with ministry amid harassment allegations, request to restrict powers of Mayor Bob Currie
- ‘I’m not changing my mind’: Amaranth Mayor Bob Currie doubles down on LGBTQ comments in NewsTalk 1010 interview
- ‘If I hurt somebody, that’s their problem, not mine,’ Ontario mayor stands by not flying Pride flag
- Ontario township mayor faces backlash over homophobic comments, decision not to raise Pride flag
- ‘No action is not an option’: Amaranth Mayor Bob Currie removed as Dufferin County public works chair due to LGBTQ commentary
- ‘We will have a flag on display’: Amaranth Mayor Bob Currie, councillors miss council meeting to discuss flying Pride flag
- The Pride flag will not be flown at Amaranth town hall
- ‘We’re most definitely in the position to get sued’: Amaranth deputy mayor on latest council decision to remove clerk from office
- ‘Get out! Get out!’: Amaranth mayor calls Dufferin OPP to remove councillor from heated council meeting
- Shop With Purpose and Support Choices Youth Shelter!
- The Artful Revival Festival – Social Distancing Applies!
- Streams Community Hub: A New Age For The Dufferin Arts
- Ontario teachers, exposed to COVID, may still go to class
- Tony Rose Pool Closure May Decimate Orangeville Otters!
- Need Help! Orangeville Food Bank + Orangeville Legion
- IRIS R&D Group Responds: We Don’t Own FaceMatch
- Orangeville Under Surveillance?! What is IRIS R&D?
- COVID-19 Surcharge in Ontario?! Who Would Do This?!
- Orangeville Library Consolidation: Who Gets Hurt?
- Orangeville Food Bank Has Officially Moved!
- Is The Orangeville Banner Endangering Public Health?!
- Face Coverings Will Be Required If Entering Dufferin Businesses
- WDGPH Updates Order on Face Coverings
- Essential Worker? What’s it actually mean?
- Discussion on Development – Orangeville Councillor Todd Taylor
- The Dufferin Job Search Just Got Easier!
- Dufferin Speaks – Hansen Development: Discussion with Darrin Davidson
- What’s The Harm Giving Businesses A Free Online Store?
- Dufferin News – Videojournalism For Our Community
- Press Release: Dufferin’s Spotlight Production launches Online Community News Program
- Interested in Being A Contributor? Apply Here!
- Have a Tip for a News Story? Let us know!
- When You Advertise Locally, You Should Advertise With Those Who Are Local. Us.